|Places of interest
The Rock of Kamegeri
Kamegeri was a leader under the reign of Mibambwe Sekarongoro Mutabazi who was burnt on that rock after he had asked that criminals be thrown on that rock after it was made red-hot. Since then that rock cliff was attributed to him to become the Rock of Kamegeri, which is situated at Ruhango
The Sky of Kamonyi
It is there that King Yuhi III Mazimpaka and his successors used to live until King Yuhi Musinga. It is also there that lived Nyombeli, a famous archer of the army of Mazimpaka; Nyombeli who went to participate in a shooting competition in Gisaka and stayed there after he was promised lots of good things. Hence the saying " Things left like Nyombeli ". It was in 1642.
The Church of the Holy Spirit of Save
The first church in Rwanda was built in 1900, and led for the first time by a father called Brard, who was nicknamed " TEREBUKA ". by the population. This church was built in thatch because the first house in brick was only built in 1905. This church is surrounded by several primary and secondary school establishments and there is even another church which was recently built with enough places in case the number of people who want to pray increased.
The Big Stone of Shali
It is an enormous stone of the size of a small Rwandan traditional hut, which is at Shali at Riba in Kibingo. I is at about 12 km from the city of Huye towards Burundi, near the main road. The top of the Big Stone of Shali looks as it had a lid. There is also near the Stone, another big stone but smaller. The history of this place has several versions: some people say that the lightning struck a big stone which was smashed to bits and a piece of which broke loose and flew into the air then fell back to the ground to form the lid which can be seen. Others say that it is the big one that gave birth to the smaller, given that it is twice its size.
As for the origin of the big stone, it seems that it could be situated during the reign of Ruganzu Ndori.
Some people say that when King Ruganzu carried on a war of expansion against Burundi, seeing that they had not enough forces to fight him, the Barundi sent him a big boa to prevent him from continuing to progress. Instead of becoming afraid, Ruganzu took a stone and threw it in the mouth of the boa which became immediately the Big Pierre.
Others assert that under the reign of Ruganzu, there was a big boa which had decimated people and property in the village of Shali. As that boa was ravaging everything that passed by the road of Shali which led to the court, people could no more go to offer their presents to the king.
As soon as he heard that, Ruganzu went to hunt that boa which took refuge in a hole. Ruganzu took then a stone and blocked the hole in which the boa had entered and took another stone to block the other extremity of the hole. It is for that reason that the inhabitants of that village say that if those stones were moved, the boa would return to decimate again the people who live there. Those stones continued to grow until they reached the size they have today.
The National Museum of Rwanda
The National Museum of Rwanda is considered to be one of the best museums of Central Africa. It is built in the City of Huye in 135 km from Kigali. It was publicly inaugurated on September 18, 1989.
The National Museum has the responsibility of:
The artifacts which are exposed in the National Museum of Rwanda allow visitors to have an idea of history and culture of Banyarwanda. By preserving these objects, carrying out research and teaching, the National Museum of Rwanda plays a role in the conservation of the national patrimony and the development of Rwanda.
- protecting and making known the patrimony of Rwandan culture
- carrying out research in art
- teaching the population
- promoting artistic creation and craft
- establishing branches of the National Museum all over the country
- preserving the remains of the memory of the Genocide
At present the National Museum of Rwanda has started establishing its branches in all the provinces of Rwanda.
The Palace of King Mutara III Rudahigwa at Rukari
This palace is at Rukari. The construction works lasted three years ( 1930-1933 ). It was built for King Mutara III Rudahigwa and is situated at Rwesero in Nyanza District. It has now become one of the branches of the National Museum of Rwanda. This palace is built at the top of a hill from which one has a wonderful view of the city of Nyanza. The building in itself is very big and has many rooms for different functions: a living room, a dining room, a storeroom to keep drinks and others. It faces another house that the king had just had built on another hill opposite, just before he died